Asap | Psychology homework help
Assignment 1: Discussion—The Positive of the Negative
Is there a positive side to the feeling of negative emotions? Like physical pain, negative emotions or experiences tell us that something is wrong and needs to be fixed. When we focus on the negative, we have more negative experiences. According to this model, using negative experiences to help promote positive experiences is more effective when considering change.
In a perfect world, no one would have negative experiences. In this assignment, you will consider the role of negative feelings such as anger, sadness, and fear in our lives.
Using the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research negative emotions and the concept of rumination.
Then, view the following video:
- Gazit, C., & Robertson, M. (January 2010). Facing our fears. [This Emotional Life] Boston, MA: PBS/NOVA/WGBN.
Watch the video below called “Facing Our Fears,” an episode in the three-part PBS documentary series This Emotional Life. Download the PDF transcript here for the below video.
This video will help you understand the negative emotions (such as anxiety, anger, and fear) that create obstacles to happiness, as well as how we continue to deal with these emotions.
Create a hypothetical situation where someone would feel fear and would ruminate over the event.
Based on your research and analysis of the video, respond to the following:
- Describe the hypothetical situation and the rumination.
- Discuss this situation in terms of how it impacts the emotional state and how it may influence future emotional states. Discuss whether the person should recall it or experience it again.
- Explain a possible reappraisal process that can be used in this situation.
- Discuss the implications of what makes change difficult from a psychological perspective.
- Discuss why it is important to reappraise and how self-regulation plays a part in this process.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Week 4, Day 3, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Week 4, Day 7, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses.
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read all your peers’ postings.
- Comment on why resilience and self-regulation are important.
- Give examples to demonstrate your perspective when writing your response.
Grading Criteria and Rubric