It is important to note that the first reaction most principals have to situations such as the one described in the case study is to deflect blame towards the school district. Although never easy, being a professional means working with what you have and making decisions with the resources available. Metaphorically, throwing your hands in the air and lamenting that the school district is to blame does nothing to address the issues. Successful school leaders develop a holistic perspective that sees the bigger picture.
The purpose of this assignment is to address how site administrators can strive to accommodate all stakeholders while taking responsibility for what happens on the school campus.
Part 1: Case Analysis
Respond to the case study by addressing the following :
- Brief summary of the case
- Identify the issues to be resolved
- Stakeholders involved in the issues
- One or two existing laws or court rulings that relate to the issues
- District policies that relate to the issues
- Possible solutions to the issues
- The solutions chosen to resolve the issues
- Action steps (2-5) for implementing each solution, including a timeline for each step
- Potential moral and legal consequences of each solution
Part 2: Rationale
Support the case analysis with a 250-500 word rationale explaining the solutions you chose and how each solution:
- Reflects professional ethics, integrity, and fairness.
- Promotes social justice and ensures that individual student needs inform all aspects of schooling.
- Promotes collaboration, trust, learning, and high expectations.
Cite the case and any other source documents as appropriate.
If possible, share your analysis with your principal mentor and make revisions based on his or her feedback before submitting with Part 1.
While APA style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and any source documents should be referenced using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.