Using the Internet:
1. Research acquisitions currently underway and choose one of these acquisitions to discuss.
2. Based on the firms’ characteristics and experiences and the reasons cited to support the acquisition, do you think it will result in increased strategic competitiveness for the acquiring firm?
Why or why not?
Of the problems that affect the success of an acquisition:
1. Which one do you believe is the most critical in the global economy?
2. What should firms do to ensure they do not experience such a problem when using an acquisition strategy?
1. What incentives influence firms to use international strategies? What three basic benefits can firms gain by successfully implementing an international strategy?
2. Determine why, given the advantages of international diversification, some firms choose not to expand internationally
. Provide specific examples to support your response.
3. As firms attempt to internationalize, they may be tempted to locate facilities where business regulation laws are lax. Discuss the advantages and potential risks of such an approach, using specific examples to support your response.
1. Top executives and members of a corporation’s board of directors have different roles and responsibilities. Traditionally, executives have been responsible for determining the firm’s strategic direction and implementing strategies to achieve it, whereas the board of directors has been responsible for monitoring and controlling managerial decisions and actions. Some argue that boards should become more involved with the formulation of a firm’s strategies.
Respond to the following:
1. How would the board’s increased involvement in the selection of strategies affect a firm’s strategic competitiveness?
2. What evidence would you offer to support their position?