Click [Start a New Thread] to post to the Discussion, then click [Post] once complete. Be sure to post a response to all Discussion topics. Please review the Discussion Board Participation Grading Rubric under Course Resources. This is important information that will ensure that you earn maximum points. Your postings should be qualitative and provide substantive depth that advances the discussion. Please see the Writing Center for assistance with writing, APA, and online communication.
Your patient is a 52-year-old female who presents with a complaint of epigastric pain and burning for the past 6 months. The patient states that the burning and pain improves slightly if she takes “Tums” over the counter. The patient also states that she has taken over-the-counter famotidine, however, still continues with epigastric pain on a daily basis.
Her examination shows mild abdominal bloating. Her vital signs are a BP of 110/74, Pulse of 72, Respirations of 18 and Temperature of 98.2. As the provider you ordered an H. Pylori breath test which was positive.
- What medications would you prescribe to treat the H. Pylori and why did you choose this treatment plan?
- How long would have the patient remain on the treatment prescribed?
- What are the possible side effects of the medications prescribed?
- What education would you provide to the patient regarding both H. Pylori and the treatment plan?
- If the patients H. Pylori breath test had been negative, how would the treatment plan have been different, had the patient been diagnosed with GERD?