For this assignment, you will be recording and analyzing your media consumption for three consecutive days. This assignment has two parts; both should be submitted in a SINGLE Word document in the Homework Dropbox.
Part 1: Media Journal
For three consecutive days, you are to record every media interaction you have in a simple log. Here is an example:
Thursday, November 3
Time: 7:00-8:00 A.M
Media: Television, ESPN Sportscenter
Total time: 60 minutes
At the end of your three-day measurement period, calculate the following:
- Total usage for each medium (television, Internet, books, magazines, newspapers, etc.).
- Total usage for all media combined.
Part 2: Essay
In a detailed essay summarize what you learned from the media logging exercise. Some items to address in your essay:
- What did you learn about your interaction with the mass media over those three days?
- Who owns the media you interacted with most? How about least?
- Were you surprised by anything your media log revealed about your consumption habits?
Students are expected to engage the course material as evidenced by the use of key terms, concepts, and quotations from the assigned readings. Students are encouraged to use outside sources, too. Be sure to cite all sources in APA format.
- The length of the analysis should be 1-3 pages in length and all parts of the assignment need to be submitted in a single Microsoft Word document.
- When you cite your sources, use APA citation and reference style.
- Spell check your paper before turning it in. Read your paper before turning it in. Be sure to watch out for grammar and spelling errors.