Apply a methodology for evaluating the impact of emerging technologies on society.
Biochip technology has been in existence since 1983 when it was first used for monitoring fisheries. Over the years, this technology has grown substantially to include monitoring animals in zoos, tracking endangered wildlife, and identifying pets. The use of Biochip technologies is increasing at a steady rate. For several years the Safe Medical Devices Registration Act of 1993 has required that all artificial body implants have an “implanted” identification. To date, there are over 150 million prosthetic devices and breast implants that are “biochipped.”
Despite this history of usage, the reason that Biochips are listed as an emerging technology in the Gartner 2018 Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies is due to its relatively new use in humans.
As a social scientist for the Office of Science and Technology, you have been tasked to analyze the various positive and negative impacts that Biochips in humans might have on society.
Research Biochip usage in humans to get a better idea of this technology and identify any attributes that might impact society. Once you feel comfortable with this new technology, you need to develop a feasibility study containing a SWOT with at least three examples of Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats along with analysis and an impact statement that addresses the following:
- A continuous Technological Assessment (TA) of biochips and how their use could cause a societal impact.
- The governance of on-going research and innovation with an emphasis towards the “right set of impacts” pertaining to emerging technologies such as biochips.
The research will need to be conducted to complete this assessment. Be sure to use credible resources, properly integrate resources into your feasibility, and give proper attribution through citations.
Rubric to pass the assignment – MUST INCLUDE BELOW TO PASS.
1) A thorough and detailed discussion on the continuous Technological Assessment (TA) of biochips was developed with examples and included how their use could cause a societal impact.
2) A thorough and detailed discussion has been developed that contains examples of the governance of on-going research and innovation with an emphasis on the “right set of impacts” pertaining to emerging technologies such as biochips.
3) Thorough and detailed SWOT Analysis with more than three examples of each category provided.
4) Credible resources were properly integrated and attributed using APA formatting and a proper formatted Reference Page was submitted.