Your company wishes to ensure that if and when an intrusion happens they can detect it and determine the extent. You have been asked to write a white paper that describes the importance of collecting audit data and the importance of reviewing that data.
This first assignment will allow you to establish The Key Assignment Template that will be used throughout the class for all Individual Project submissions and to explore the framework securing an organization’s data. You will:
- Create the template to be used for the submission of all Individual Project Assignments
- Describe what audit data is and how it is used.
- In the framework of the network and servers what devices should audit data be collected and where it should be stored.
- Describe a process or policy for how and when audit data should be reviewed.
- Also take this opportunity to discuss the security of audit data, meaning, just because data is collected and reviewed, does this mean it is secure and accurate.
The template document should follow this format:
- Vulnerability Assessment Project Document Shell
- Use Microsoft Word
- Title Page
- Course number and name
- Project name
- Student name
- Table of Contents
- Use auto-generated TOC.
- Separate page
- Maximum of three levels deep
- Be sure to update the fields of the TOC so it is up-to-date before submitting your project.
- Section Headings (create each heading on a new page with TBD as content except for sections listed under New Content below)
- Intrusion Tools and Techniques
- Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
- Attack Methods
- Intrusion Detection System Policies
- Protective Measures
Each Week you will add to this document and submit for grading, as a preview each Section will contain the following:
- Intrusion Tools and Techniques (Week 1 – IP)
- Intrusion Detection
- Audit Data Review