Situational Leadership SLP 2
For the Module 2 SLP assignment, you will continue to apply the concepts from the background materials to your own experiences in the workplace. Think carefully about Hersey and Blanchard’s Situational Leadership model and the four leadership styles of Directing, Coaching, Supporting, and Delegating. Then consider the styles of one of the supervisors you have worked with, and reflect upon whether or not their style changed depending on the situation.
According to Lacey (2021) the developmental levels in the Situational Leadership model are:
Development level 1 (D1): Employee has low competence but high commitment. Development level 2 (D2): Employee has some competence but low commitment. Development level 3 (D3): Employee has high competence and variable commitment. Development level 4 (D4): Employee has high competence and high commitment” (p. 6).
After doing some reflecting on your own experiences, and reviewing the background materials, write a
2 full-page paper (excluding title and references pages) addressing the following issues:
1. Which of these levels best describes the developmental level of your supervisor’s full team?
2. How would you describe the tasks required of your supervisor’s full team? Are they structured or unstructured?
3. Overall, how well does your supervisor’s leadership style match with the developmental level of their team and the characteristics of the team’s tasks? Consider the Situational Leadership model for developmental level and the Path-Goal model for task characteristics in your answer.
4. Last, include 2 recommendations for how your supervisor could change their leadership style.
1. Your SLP should be 2 – 3 pages in length (not including title and reference pages). This means the submission must be at least 2 full pages. It must include an introduction below the paper’s title prior to the answer to the first assignment question and a Conclusion on the last page before the References list page. There should be nothing in the top left corner of the paper and only a page number in the top right corner of all pages.
2. Be sure to cite and reference (using APA Style, 7th ed.) a minimum of 2 scholarly sources listed in the Course Materials and Bibliography (Module 2 Required and Optional Reading List), in the Module 2 Background Page: Required and Optional Readings, or in the Trident Online Library (peer-reviewed journal articles). Upload your paper to the SLP 2 Dropbox before the assignment due date.
3. Include both a reference page and in-text citations. Citation and reference style instructions are available at Trident University’s
Introduction to APA
. Another resource is the “Writing Style Guide,” which is found under “My Resources” in the TLC portal, or the APA Manual (7th ed.).
Your essay submission should be 2-3 pages, not counting the cover page and reference list page. Use Times New Roman size 12 font; double-space everything, including references, but do not add extra spacing between paragraphs or after headings; and make sure your margins are one inch on all four sides. You can view how the cover page content should appear in the sample paper found in the
Purdue OWL APA Formatting and Style Guide
. Student papers do not require a running head on any page. In addition, students are not required to include an Abstract. Your paper’s title should be above the first paragraph on page two (there can be no paragraph with the title of “Introduction”). Last, all pages must have a page number in the top-right corner of the header and absolutely nothing in the top left corner of the header.