Telemarketing fraud is a widespread type of white-collar crime. Elderly victims are often specifically targeted.
- Why is telemarketing fraud so difficult to prevent or prosecute?
- In what ways have the Internet and social media made telemarketing fraud a bigger problem?
- What characteristics of the elderly make them attractive targets for perpetrators of phone fraud?
In addition, elderly victims are more susceptible to religious and charity-based scams. It is especially difficult to prosecute religious organizations when they are suspected of engaging in fraudulent activities.
- What characteristics of these large religious organizations make investigation difficult?
- How can law enforcement work around these issues?
Celebrities often endorse products. For example, Michael Jordan promotes Hanes underwear and Jennifer Garner promotes a credit card.
- How much responsibility should a celebrity endorser bear if the product they promote turns out to be fraudulent, unsafe, or harmful in some way?
- Describe a real-life example of a celebrity endorsing a harmful or illegal product. Explain why he or she should not be endorsing that product.