Review of a bill Assignment
Select an active bill at the state or federal level that impacts the professional practice of nursing. In a 3-4 page paper (excluding the title and reference pages), summarize the provisions of the bill and clearly explain what the bill will accomplish. The paper should be no more than 4 pages, typed in Times New Roman using 12-point font, and double-spaced with 1″ margins.
Your review of a bill paper should:
- Discuss the major provisions of the bill.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the legislation by explaining the background and all relevant facts.
- Discuss any relevant history related to the legislation, pertinent votes, and issues that are stalling the legislation, etc.
- Use primary sources for this information.
- Identify key supporters and those who do not support the bill. Explain why some of these individuals support the bill and why some do not.
- Explore the positions of the key stakeholders in the bill, both pros and cons. Do not make assumptions about potential key stakeholders. Examine this area carefully so you are correctly reflecting the stakeholders positions.
- Discuss how the bill would impact a nurse’s ability to provide safe and quality care or to practice to the highest scope of the nursing license.
- Explain specific actions that nurses can take to assist with the passage or defeat of the legislation
- Use APA format, headings and references as appropriate.
Clearly summarizes the bill’s major provisions and what the bill will accomplish. Demonstrates a clear understanding of the legislation by explaining relevant facts and background information. Relevant history related to the legislation, pertinent votes, and issues related to the legislation is clearly identified. Key supporters and stakeholders are identified. Position of stakeholders and key supporters is clearly and accurately explained. Informative discussion on how the bill might impact a nurse’s ability to provide care is included. Nursing specific actions that can be taken to assist with the passage or defeat of the legislation are clearly explained. APA format (6th edition) is followed. Written in a clear, concise, formal, and organized manner. Information from sources is paraphrased appropriately and accurately cited.