Teachers must understand the socio-emotional, cultural, and linguistic needs of ELLs to appropriately plan, teach, and assess their students. Theories and research related to the nature and acquisition of language should undergird how linguistic needs of ELLs are addressed. The potential social and emotional barriers and complexities of culture that affect ELLs should be considered if a teacher plans to support the whole learner and facilitate learning effectively for their ELL students.
Imagine the next goal of your ELL task force is to design a training manual to be used by your school district to prepare new classroom teachers in supporting the needs of ELLs.
Create a 4-5 page (1,000-1,250 word) training manual that includes the following topics:
- First and Second Language Acquisition Theories
- Stages of Second Language Acquisition
- English Language Proficiency/Development Standards and Levels
- Cultural Considerations for ELLs
- Socio-Emotional Needs of ELLs
For each topic, include the following information:
- Brief explanation providing foundational knowledge of the topic
- A minimum of three concise classroom examples of how to apply foundational knowledge of the topic to inform the learning environment, planning and instruction, or assessment and evaluation of ELLs
Support your training manual with 3-5 scholarly resources.
Submit your scholarly resources and your training manual or a link to it in a single document.
While APA Style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.